When I imagine chilly nights, this is the soup that instantly comes to mind.
Full of warm spices, root vegetables and a creamy touch of coconut milk, this recipe gives a tiny taste of the exotic without being complicated or fussy.
If you've never cooked with curry or coconut milk, don't let the thought of 'exotic' ingredients scare you off! This is the perfect recipe to give yourself a chance to try something new. Plus, it's super versatile. Be sure to check out the notes section at the bottom for tips on adding protein and what to serve it with.
It's perfect for weekday nights or a dinner party, and pleases even the pickiest palates! There is good reason my daughter and myself name this as our favorite wintertime soup.
So without further ado, here is our recipe for Sweet Potato Curry Soup! We hope your family loves it as much as ours does.
And don't forget to read the notes section following the recipe instructions for tips and meal ideas.
Sweet Potato Curry Soup
A beautiful, smooth soup that is full of warmth and coziness. Perfect in the fall and winter time.
2 TBSP unsalted butter
1 medium onion cut into chunks
3 large garlic cloves cut in half
1 pinch ground cloves
2 TBSP curry powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
3 large sweet potatoes (or 4 medium/small) cut into 1-2 inch chunks.
4 cups chicken broth
1 13.5 oz can coconut milk (full fat preferred)
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Set Instant Pot to sauté and add butter.
Add onions to pot and sauté for 5 minutes or until they start to turn translucent.
Add garlic, potatoes, cloves, curry powder, salt, pepper and chicken broth and stir together.
Lock on Instant Pot lid and set to pressure cook for 13 minutes.
When cooking time is finished, quick release your Instant Pot pressure.
After pressure is released, take off the lid and puree the cooked soup with an immersion blender or basic blender. If using a basic blender, ready a separate medium bowl. Then simply scoop out the soup into your blender, being sure not to fill all the way or it will spurt out the sides. Be careful, it will be hot! After you blend one batch, pour it into the empty extra bowl and continue blending another batch until all the soup is blended smooth. Then just pour all of the blended soup back into the Instant Pot.
Set your Instant Pot to sauté and add in the coconut milk and chopped cilantro.
Bring to a very low simmer, then turn off the heat and it's ready to serve!
- We recommend serving this soup with warm naan bread (can be found in the grocery store). Simply brush with olive oil and garlic before baking to heat. Yum! It's also great served with rice.
- No need to worry about perfect chopping! Everything gets pureed at the end so don't worry about chopping up your onion or sweet potatoes into perfect small dice.
- Use as much cilantro as you like. We recommend starting with 1/4 cup. If after tasting you'd like to add more then you can easily do so.
- This recipe does not call for any meat. If you'd like more protein try adding in cooked shredded chicken!
- If you're looking for a vegetarian recipe, simply sub out the butter for olive oil and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- DON'T HAVE AN INSTANT POT? This recipe can easily be made on the stove top! You can follow all of the basic instructions, just simply simmer the soup until the potatoes and onions are very tender. Then continue on with the recipe to finish it off.